Reishi is considered the Mushroom of Immortality.
Reishi isn’t your typical mushroom. It doesn’t taste like the mushrooms you put in spaghetti.
No Reishi has a pretty bland taste.
I first encountered the Reishi mushroom when I discovered Four Sigmatic coffee and another product called MUD/WTR. Both are excellent, but overpriced products.
I set out to find out about the mushrooms in both products and discovered lots of amazing benefits that I would love to share with you all!
Reishi is the main ingredient in most pre-made adaptogenic coffees on the market today and for quite a good reason. It’s called the Immortality Mushroom in TCM (TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE)
I like to put Reishi in my coffee along with Lion’s Mane and a tsp of cacao powder.
And, in case you were wondering, Beaufort Organics does in fact carry REISHI NOW! Click here to buy now.
Reishi mushroom, or Ganoderma Lucidum, is nicknamed “the mushroom of immortality” for it’s primarily immune boosting and anti-cancer properties.
Reishi mushroom has long been known for supporting the immune system while calming and reducing stress, as well as improving sleep quality.
According to Cathy Wong at Very Well Fit,
Reishi is known for treating “fatigue, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and inflammation by bolstering the immune system, while helping control blood sugar levels, liver problems, immune system issues, and as an antibiotic.”
How Reishi Works
According to Dr. Josh Axe:
Dozens of studies have demonstrated that reishi mushrooms are capable of offering protection against numerous diseases or illnesses, including:
- fatigue (including chronic fatigue syndrome)
- frequent infections (urinary tract, bronchitis, respiratory infections, etc.)
- liver disease
- food allergies and asthma
- digestive problems, stomach ulcers and leaky gut syndrome
- tumor growth and cancer
- skin disorders
- autoimmune disorders
- viruses, including the flu, HIV/AIDS or hepatitis
- heart disease, hypertension, high blood pressure and high cholesterol
- sleep disorders and insomnia
- anxiety and depression
Because they work as an “immune modulator,” reishi mushrooms can help restore hormonal balance, bring the body back to homeostasis and regulate activity of the immune system.
This can help fight tumors and cancerous cells. Research shows that reishi mushrooms act as a normalizing substance, regulating various cellular functions and systems, including the endocrine (hormonal), immune, cardiovascular, central nervous and digestive systems.
One of the biggest reishi benefits is that it’s capable of doing so much, yet produces hardly any side effects. Reishi mushrooms are much less toxic than traditional medications as well. In fact, most people report a quick improvements in their energy levels, mental focus and mood while also experiencing a reduction in aches, pains, allergies, digestive issues and infections.
The secret behind their healing potential? The various active ingredients that the reishi mushroom contains account for this. These ingredients include complex sugars known as beta-glucans, plant sterols that act as precursors to hormones in the body, polysaccharides that fight cancer cell development and acidic substances called triterpenes that turn off the body’s response to allergies.
- 4 to 8 oz. dairy-free milk of choice, I like using almond or oat milk
- 8 to 10 oz. brewed mushroom coffee, or water if using a mushroom coffee packet
- 1 packet mushroom coffee skip if you’re using brewed mushroom coffee instead
- 1 tablespoon cacao butter or healthy fat of choice, like coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon plant-based collagenor any other adaptogens of your choice
- ½ teaspoon Manuka honey or to taste
- Cinnamon and spice, to taste, optional
- Fill your cup halfway with dairy-free milk and then fill the rest of the way with water. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until it’s steaming.
- Add the hot liquid to the blender (I use my Vitamix) along with the mushroom coffee, cacao butter, cacao powder, plant-based collagen, Manuka honey, and cinnamon, if using.
- Blend on medium-low for about 1 minute, or until frothy and well blended. Pour back into your mug and serve immediately.